In our very first blog, we talk about how over the winter after the temperatures started dropping to below freezing our batteries froze because they’d apparently lost charge. According to my first Instagram post about the bus, the last time we had started it was nearly a year ago.
That’s insane! It does not feel like a year.
Well, we purchased new batteries this week and installed them. Before that, though, we wanted to disconnect the tubes from the auxiliary heater and reroute them, as the engine coolant runs through those tubes and we don’t want to build our house around the heaters. Then, after finishing that, Jeremiah drained some diesel out of the engine, added some tank cleaner, and we started the bus!
It was amazing that it took so little effort. Thankfully, we know a couple of people who are bus mechanics and they gave us some pointers, but really, as easy as it was, anyone could have done it. After starting it, we moved it a bit in our driveway. Then, the last thing on our checklist for the weekend was to fix the lock on our door, which will probably take a little more finagling.
We thought that this process was going to take much longer, and we were concerned about it. So, we didn’t have any of the materials ready or ordered for our next project, but it’s all ordered, now! In the meantime, it’s so great knowing that we got the bus started and moving again!
Thanks for joining us!
Originally published at thejamisons.blog on March 4, 2017.